Jet 708376VS JWL-1220VS Variable Speed Wood Lathe
- Continuously variable speed operation from 270-4200 RPM
- Heavy-duty cast iron lathe bed adds stability while limiting vibration during operation
- Self-ejecting tailstock for safe and easy removal of tooling
- Indexing mechanism allows for fluting and veining operations
- Hollow tailstock and removable tip on live center allows for hole boring through stock
- Convenient flexible worklight allows better lighting right on the workpiece
The newest addition to our JET® line of Woodturning Lathes is the model JWL-1220VS. This new variable speed, 3/4HP lathe supports stock up to 12" in diameter and 20" in length. This little powerhouse features variable 270-4200RPM continuous speed operation, a self-ejecting tailstock for added safety, spindle lock and indexing capability for fluting and veining applications, built-in work light to illuminate your work piece, and much more. If you are looking for a big lathe for your shop, but are short on space, give the Jet JWL-1220VS a try, you'll be glad you did.
The 708376VS includes:
- Jet JWL-1220VS Lathe
- 6" Tool Rest
- 10" Tool Rest
- Storage Tray
- Integrated Cord Wrap
- 3" Face Plate
- Part Number: 708376VS
- Swing Over Bed: 12"
- Swing Over Tool Rest Base: 9-1/2"
- Distance Between Centers: 20"
- Speeds: Variable, 270-4200 RPM
- Headstock Taper: MT-2
- Spindle Nose: 1" x 8 Teeth Per Inch
- Hole Through Spindle: 3/8"
- Hole Through Tailstock: 3/8"
- Ram Travel: 2"
- Motor: 3/4 HP, 1 Phase, 115 Volt, 4.5 Amps
- Model Number: JWL-1220VS
- Brand: Jet
- Overall Dimensions: 39"x11"x15.5"
- Weight: 125 pounds
How Indexing Works on a Lathe:
Indexing with a lathe is a great way to simplify otherwise complicated flute and vein cuts. The spindle pulley in the headstock has 24 equally spaced holes drilled in it and there is a pin that goes through the headstock that can be screwed in to each hole to secure the work piece. This allows you to cut off of a pre-defined set of anchor points and makes it easy to produce beautiful flutes and veins.
Below is an example of a typical aftermarket Indexing Mechanism that gives you a general idea of how it works.
Check out the video below for a great how-to on Lathe Indexing
This item is covered by WMH's 5 Year Warranty and Jet's Red Assurance Protection Plan.
WMH Stands behind every product it sells with outstanding customer service and support. Their multitude of service repair centers offer quick turnarounds and most of the time they can authorize warranty repair, assist you in locating replacement parts, and perform routine maintenance and large repairs on your tools and machinery. To find a service center near you, please call 1-800-274-6848.
Overall Rating for Jet 708376VS JWL-1220VS Variable Speed Wood Lathe
Jet 1220VS Wood Lathe
By Ken from Greenville, SC on February 26, 2012
Tools-Plus offerred a price that is in line with local stores, and with free shipping and no sales tax it made dealing with them a reasonable deal for me.
Pros:Size, quality, electronic speed control
My wife is happy with it.