Proto Tool JSBV-8S Double Box Racheting Spline Wrench Set
Proto Tool JSBV-8S 8 Piece Double Box Racheting Spline Wrench Set
- Spline helps reduce foreign object debris (FOD) by having a precise fit between the fastening tool and its fastener.
- Black chrome finish is corrosion resistant and visually distinctive.
- Ratcheting spline box end is countersunk for easy application to the fastener.
- The fractional spline wrenches can be used on fractional 4, 6, 12 point and spline fasteners.
The JSBV-8S includes:
- One (1) WRENCH, DOUBLE BOX REVERSABLE RATCHETING BLACK CHROME 7/32" X 9/32" SPLINE ITEM#:JSBV0709
- One (1) WRENCH, DOUBLE BOX REVERSABLE RATCHETING BLACK CHROME 1/4" X 5/16" SPLINE ITEM#:JSBV0810
- One (1) WRENCH, DOUBLE BOX REVERSABLE RATCHETING BLACK CHROME 3/8" X 7/16" SPLINE ITEM#:JSBV1214
- One (1) WRENCH, DOUBLE BOX REVERSABLE RATCHETING BLACK CHROME 1/2" X 9/16" SPLINE ITEM#:JSBV1618
- One (1) WRENCH, DOUBLE BOX REVERSABLE RATCHETING BLACK CHROME 5/8" X 11/16" SPLINE ITEM#:JSBV2022
- One (1) WRENCH, DOUBLE BOX REVERSABLE RATCHETING BLACK CHROME 3/4" X 7/8" SPLINE ITEM#:JSBV2428
- One (1) WRENCH, DOUBLE BOX REVERSABLE RATCHETING BLACK CHROME 13/16" X 15/16" SPLINE ITEM#:JSBV2630
- One (1) WRENCH, DOUBLE BOX REVERSABLE RATCHETING BLACK CHROME 1" X 1-1/8" SPLINE ITEM#:JSBV3236
Proto Ratcheting FAQ
Q: First, I was wondering how much torque could be reliably applied to the ratcheting mechanism? As much as you could physically apply without the use of a cheater bar?
A: You're technically not supposed to use ratcheting anything to break nuts/bolts free, including standard ratchets. When I bought my ratcheting wrench set, it actually said NOT to use them to break anything free. I still do it, but that's what it said. These are very high quality wrenches so they should be able to handle any amount of torque you're able to apply without using a cheater bar/wrench-on-wrench, jumping/standing on it, or a hammer.
Q:What is covered under warranty?
A: Here's the link: http://www.protoindustrial.com/en/support/Pages/Warranty.aspx
It's hard to say that if you were to blow up the ratcheting mechanism by overloading it, if they'd cover it or not since that's technically misuse. This is more a question for Proto directly on how flexible they are. You can email our rep Stu Feldman, he'd probably know: email@example.com
Q: And lastly, I know the spline drive is good at loosening rounded fasteners, but is it as good as a 6 or 12 point at loosening a new fastener? These would be my primary wrenches if I bought them and wouldn't want to regret not getting a set of 12 point wrenches over these.
A: They're awesome. They put force on the more meaty areas of the nut/bolt head to reduce stripping. I replaced all my normal box wrenches with sets of spline wrenches, couldn't be happier. The only time I break out my old 12 points is for extremely odd 12 point (not triple-square Volkswagen/Audi bolts) that I occasionally run across on Jeeps, but you can grab a cheap Craftsmen set if the need ever arises.