JET 708476 12" Planer / Jointer PLUS Helical Head 708476
The 708476 includes:
- 1x JET 708476 12" 12" Planer / Jointer PLUS Helical Head
- 3 HP, 230 V, 1 PH
- Helical cutterhead with indexable carbide inserts for a superior finish and quieter cut
- Extra large aluminum extruded fence with centered controls for quick adjustments
- Extremely quick changeover between jointing and planing functions. Fence does not need to be removed
- Powerful 3HP induction motor easily handles the toughest jointing and planing tasks
- Heavy-duty, one-piece steel closed stand includes mounting tabs for increased stability
- Built-in dust chute with 4" dust port used for both jointing and planing operations
- Large handwheel for quick and precise adjustments of planer table
For all JET warranty issues, please call (800) 274-6848.
- Planes rough stock, virtually snipefree, up to 12 in. wide at a rate of 5/32" per pass
- Features a sturdy, half-closed, chip-resistant, powder-coated stand.
- Cast-iron bed is precision ground and polished for consistently smooth operation
- Integrated 4-in. dust-collection port provides efficient removal of dust, chips and other debris when in either jointer or planer mode.
- Powered by a 16-amp, 3 HP TEFC, singlephase motor that's pre-wired for 230 volts
- Belt-drive system delivers constant and consistent power
- Brand: JET
- Model: JJP-12HH
- MPN: 708476
- UPC: 662755111235
- Type: Jointer
- Height: 40 inch
- Width: 34 inch
- Length: 55 inch
- Weight: 500 pound
- Cutterhead Speed: 5500 RPM
- Cutterhead Diameter: 23/4 "
- Table Height: 331/2 "
- Dust Port Outside Diameter: 4 "
- Dust Collection Minimum CFM Required: 400 cu.ft/min
- Motor Power: 3 HP
- Motor Voltage: 230
- Prewired Voltage: 230 V
- Motor Current: 12.5
- Motor Phase: 1 Ph
- Package Qty.: 1
This item is covered by WMH's 5 Year Warranty and Jet's Red Assurance Protection Plan.
WMH Stands behind every product it sells with outstanding customer service and support. Their multitude of service repair centers offer quick turnarounds and most of the time they can authorize warranty repair, assist you in locating replacement parts, and perform routine maintenance and large repairs on your tools and machinery. To find a service center near you, please call 1-800-274-6848.
Now for the fun part...I had the misconception that spending 3k+ on a P/J would result in a tool delivered in a condition of at least being "close" in calibration. Now I know what your saying, thats part of this kind of purchase. I agree to an extent....if I want my tool dialed to within .001-.003 then that will be on me to get it to that point. But when the jointer beds are nowhere near being coplanar, I mean about 1/32"-1/64" off, I find that a bit disturbing for the money paid. I wouldnt go buy a new vehicle and have the expectation of taking it home and giving it a tune - up.
Next was learning curve for getting the jointer portion set up. You see there is no adjustment for the helical head. So this creates a bit of a complex adjustment process. Normally one would raise the beds and adjust the beds coplanar, lower the beds and set the knives on the head to be parallel with the out feed. This however cannot be done on a helical head. You must first set the outfeed to the head, then set the infeed bed to the out feed table. But therein lies the problem, every time you make a change to the outfeed bed (if needed) you change your adjustment to the head, so there is a LOT of repetitive and mind numbing adjustments to get the outfeed table set to the head then coplanar with the infeed table. The other item to pay close attention to is the levers that secure the jointer beds, make sure you tighten these adequately and continuously check your adjustments with these in the locked position.
Once set up and ingesting several thousand Mg of headache medication, you are ready to move on to the planer table. This too was off by about 1/64". This was easy to adjust and took only about 30 minutes to get good and set. Additionally the outfeed roller had to be adjusted up as it was applying too much pressure to the lumber on exit and causing it to slightly elevate into the cutter head make a small "divot" in the trailing edge of the lumber. A very easy fix adjusting the two allen screws that set the exit roller height.
As far as performance goes I am very happy with the machine. Finish on the lumber is top notch and it is not very loud. Dust collection is about 95% with a Jet 1 1/2 hp DC.
The only other issue I came across was that the manual indicated there were 10 extra carbide cutters. The package only contained 5. No biggee, told tools plus about it and hopefully they will get it handled.
All in all I am happy with my purchase, the difficulty in adjustment was my only hang up, I know jointers are not a quick adjustment machine and require patience, but it is my opinion the adjustability of this machine could have been done a bit better.
You will need to get a 90 degree elbow for the DC because if you do not, while planing, the hose will hang on the exit bed.
- Sturdy, great performance, small footprint, plenty of power, easy change over between planer and jointer.
- Good experience with Tools Plus, I will definitely shop here again. Seem like a good group of folks.
- poorly set up on receipt, adjustment for jointer beds are not very precise and could have been made much better.