Nova Lathes 48246 NOVA G3 Chuck 30th Anniversary Bundle w/ Case
The 48246 includes:
- 1x NOVA Direct Thread 1" x 8 TPI G3 Lathe Chuck
- 1x NOVA JS100N 100mm/4" Jaw Set
- 1x NOVA JSPIN Pin Jaw Set
- 1x Woodworm Screw
- 1x T Handle Chuck Key
- 1x Fastenings
- 33% Savings - Chuck and 3 Jaws for small and medium projects
- Includes G3 chuck, 50mm/2" Jaws, 100mm/4" Jaws and Pin Jaw set, in a sturdy storage/carry case.
- Limited edition, 30th anniversary bundle, presented in sturdy carry/storage case
- Accurate, high quality precision machined
- One handed geared operation for ease of use and strong grip
- Designed for smaller to medium projects (up to 14" bowls)
- Anti-release spindle lock, reversible feature, designed exclusively for use on the NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe. Ensures chuck will stay securely mounted on the lathe during forward and reverse turning applications
- Dedicated chuck can be used on any lathe with a 1" 8TPI thread, will not accept adapters
Offering solid construction, minimal vibration and ease-of-use, the Nova G3 has become a favorite chuck for small and mid-sized lathes. It is offered here in a value package with two extra sets of jaws—4'' jaws and pin jaws—in addition to the standard 2'' jaws. Though designed for the Nova Comet II Midi Lathe (#46457, sold separately), it can be used on any lathe with a 1'' x 8 TPI thread. When used on non-reversing lathes, the set screw must be removed. The G3 is a self-centering chuck, so all four jaws close at the same time by turning a single key. With only one hand needed to close the chuck, your other hand is free to align the stock. At just 1.79'' long, the compact G3 helps to maximize your distance between centers, and reduces stress on the spindle.
Please Note: This Chuck Bundle is ONLY available to fit 1" x 8 TPI spindles. If your lathe has a spindle that is not 1" x 8 TPI you will need to purchase a different chuck bundle that includes the Insert Type G3 chuck and you will also need an insert/adapter that matches your lathe's spindle thread.
- One handed geared action; powerful & positive grip.
- Small size and weight minimizes load on small spindles and bearings.
- Very accurate and high quality — built to the same exacting standards as the SuperNova2 and Titan chucks. Years of reliable service.
- Takes the same accessory range as all other NOVA chucks. Versatile — able to tackle a wide range of projects
- Comes in a dedicated 1"8 Dual thread
- Fast operating action — ideal for production turning of smaller pieces
- Advanced features — automatic jaw safety stop, Copper impregnated jaw slides.
- Brand: NOVA
- Model: 48246
- MPN: 48246
- UPC: 669762482464
- Type: Lathe Chuck Set
- Size: 3.35"
- Thread Type: 1"8 Dedicated
- Lathe Diameter Capacity: Up to 20"
- Bowl Capacity: Up to 14" (using std 50mm jaws)
- Spigot Capacity: Up to 6" length spigots (using std jaws)
- Package Qty.: 1
Ordering was easy!
I wanted the Nova G3 30th Anniversary chuck set because it came with a variety of jaws, and had a nice plastic case. It was hard to find, because it was a limited edition that had been discontinued. I found it at Tools Plus for a reasonable price. Tools Plus seems to be the only source for this set - they must have had some left to sell.
The Nova G3 30th Anniversary chuck set arrived in California very quickly, only a few days after I ordered it. I am impressed with the build quality. I ordered a set of Nova pen jaws for it. (By the way, the pen jaws fit inside the case, in the finger holes for the chuck itself. I turned them so that the wood grabbing edges face away from the chuck itself.)
So far, I have used the Nova G3 chuck with the pen jaws to drill pen blanks. Yes, I might have used the pin jaws that came with the set, but I like the pen jaws. Because the pen jaws are in a pair with gaps, it is easy to see when the drill comes out the back side of the pen blank.
The G3 chuck is easy to use, and it works very smoothly. The build quality is superb. What can I say about a chuck? It has jaws that open and close. The Nova chuck key fits perfectly, and I could have easily tightened the jaws far beyond what is necessary.
Sorry that I cannot report about using these jaws with bowl turning, but I have not reached that level of skill yet.