Nova Lathes 55214 Galaxi DVR 16" - 44" Wood Lathe
The 55214 includes:
- 1x Nova 55214 1644 Galaxi DVR 16" - 44" Wood Lathe
- 1x DVR motor & Controller
- 1x Cast Iron Stand
- 1x 150mm/6" faceplate
- 1x 300mm /12" toolrest
- 1x 2MT live Centre
- 1x 2MT spur Centre
- 1x Knock Out Bar
- 1x Manual
- 1x Fastenings
- 16" swing over bed. 29" with additional outrigger accessory
- 44" between centers
- 360 degree swivel headstock with present pin lock at -90, -60, -30, 0 30, 60, and 90 degrees.`Sp
- Direct Drive DVR Motor offers more power/torque than any competitive 16" lathe on
- Incredible Speed Range from 100rpm to 5000 rpm. Pre-program your most used speeds for faster and more efficient project set ups.
- Incredible power in a compact working space, great for those who need all the workshop space they can get! The swivel head and articulated Outrigger Accessory means that turning even large bowls (29) you are still turning in the same compact working envelope.
- Solid Cast Iron throughout
- Self Ejecting Tailstock Center helps make project set ups faster and easier.
This lathe combines the best features of larger lathes — power, capacity and capability with state of the art technology to make your turning more efficient, fun and safer. The NOVA GALAXI DVRTM 1644 is the most versatile lathe on the market. It combines the proven technology with some great new features. It is able to handle a wide range of work from very small pens to large 29"/750mm bowls and long spindle work (using optional Outrigger accessory) Using the unique DVR technology, the direct drive motor is incredibly smooth with no pulleys or belts to vibrate. The NOVA DVRTM series are the only smart lathes on the market, the ONLY lathes to feature intelligent ADAPTIVE CONTROL software that works for the turner to produce optimum turning conditions for your specific projects.
- Quality materials - Solid Cast Iron throughout.
- Strong 2MT spindles
- NOVA smart accessories - lathe accessories are common between the models, meaning any money invested in the accessories isn't
- wasted if you upgrade your NOVA lathe.
- Fully 360° Swivel head - position work where you want it, makes your turning more comfortable and saves you workshop space.
- Precision Machining.
- Long reach toolslides, designed to take advantage for the extra capacity the NOVA lathes offer.
- Quick Action Cam Controls - precisely adjust to your requirements, fast.
- Large Capacities
- Great Speed Range
- Large range of accessories
- Comprehensive Warranties
Easy to operate, the NOVA DVR series of lathes are the only SMART lathes on the market, using Adaptive Control Software. The intelligent computerised control assists you with your turning, for instance, measuring the weight of the workpiece and adjusting the performance accordingly, the ability to sense faults in the set up and advise, sense safety issues such as chisel dig ins and spindle lock, and instantly shuts down power to the spindle.
High Torque Power
Instant power when you need it. With it's 2.3HP (220v) high torque motor, exceptional structural strength and smart design, it's not only easy to convert to outrigger work for larger bowls and to extend spindle capacity with add on beds, but the lathe has the power and capacity to handle it with ease.
Faster, more efficient turning
NOVA GALAXI DVRTM delivers incredible turning smoothness. With no belts or pulleys to cause vibration, a computer that automatically adjusts performance and solid cast iron construction, the Galaxi is one smooth operator. This delivers the ability to turn faster and more efficiently and cuts down on sanding time. The 5 FAVORITE SPEEDS function also enables you to preselect your most used speeds, finishing your project faster.
Plug n' Play
Easy to use, push button electronic variable speed with forward and reverse.
Computer control instantly cuts power to the spindle if it senses a chisel dig in, or if the spindle lock is on when wanting to turn the spindle.
Smart computer controlled motor only draws as much power as it needs for the project being worked on. The DVR motor can save up to 80% energy and emissions over conventional motors. Click HERE for more information.
Industry grade electronics
- Brand: Nova
- Model: 1644
- MPN: 55214
- UPC: 669762552143
- Type: Wood Lathe
- Bowl turning capacity: 16"/406mm inboard. 29"/750mm outboard. (Using optional outrigger accessory)
- Between centers: Standard 44"/1117mm.
- HP: 1.75 (115V)
- Voltage: 115V Out of Box (220V Capable)
- Speed range: 100 - 5000 continual variable speed, with dial in speed control for precise and fast speed location.
- Spindle Thread: 1 1/4" 8TPI RH (USA, Canada, Australasia & UK), M33 x 3.5 RH (Europe excluding UK)
- Tailstock: 2MT hollow, Self Ejecting
- Swivel head: 360 degree swivel and lock at any position, plus detent locating positions at 0, 22, 4 and 90 degree. High accuracy and easy swivel. Headstock can move along bed to be positioned at the end of the bed or anywhere in between for large work.
- Package Qty.: 1
When the item arrives, it is extremely well packaged. And it's not going to move once they put it on the ground, so be ready when it comes. It will take some work to unpackage. You have to remove banding and screws from the metal bracing on the plywood box. I expected the box to come apart easily at that point, but I still had to pry it apart because of the staples. Once you've got the box apart, it will still be necessary to un-bolt the parts from the box frame, so you will need the proper tools. I suppose, the effort required to unpack the lathe might be a con, but its also a big plus; there wasn't a scratch on the lathe.
The lathe is heavy and its pieces are heavy, but just light enough that I could lift each one (barely, I wouldn't recommend it for smaller persons or most women). You can stand the legs up by themselves and lift the bed into place and bolt it together. (The lathe comes with four adjustable feet, however, you need at least two extra people if you use these as the legs will fall over if you put them on. So, for now my lathe doesn't have them, though I may try to find a jack to lift up one end at a time to attach them.) In the end, I only needed a little assistance from my wife to help line up the motor to slide it on the bench. (the motor is heavy and you'll need both hand to hold, which means you need a third hand to line up the guide.) Although you need some tools to get it out of the box, everything you need to assemble it is provided.
The lathe is a joy to work with. It has a number of features that make it safer and easier to use than other lathes, certainly safer than my old lathe. If you buy this lathe, make sure you get an adapter so you can use your old chucks. I naively thought my Nova Chuck would just fit right on a Nova lathe, not so. Also, the lathe with only one 12" tool rest, so you will need to get a smaller tool rest, if you don't have one already, if you want to work on smaller pieces.
In short, you can't go wrong with this lathe or with Tools-Plus.
Made the right choice for me with this lathe. Unlike previous Nova lathes this one has plenty of mass for out of balance blanks. Ability to easily change between 120v/220v was a selling point for me - so far 120v has provided plenty of power, may not need 220v. The biggest feature for me is the pivoting headstock - beats the heck out of bending over the bed or removing the tailstock every time to hollow a bowl. The headstock is perfectly stable in any position - all the concerns people have about this are just wrong.
The electronic brake actually speeds up the stop to inspect process. Freewheeling takes forever to stop. While the brakes does dwell for a few seconds, its still much faster. The speed dial adjustment and speed presets are a big improvement over the previous dvr speed control design.
Would definitely buy again, especially at Tools Plus price.